Written by: Sharon Wild
Engagement rings are traditionally worn on the left hand, on the 4th finger, the on the finger, next to the pinkie finger.
It was the ancient Romans who began placing the engagement ring on the left ring finger. They believed the left ring finger contained the vein of love which connects directly to the heart.
The tradition of presenting a diamond engagement ring is believed to have been started in 1477 when Archduke Maximillian gave one to Mary of Burgandy.
Before that, engagement rings were plain metal bands. Gold and silver where used among the wealthy and iron among the commoners.